Water damage is one of the costliest types of damage inflicted on properties. However, it is also one of those issues many of us don’t think of unless it happens. Since pipes are hidden behind walls, or underground; as the saying goes, “Out of Sight, Out of Mind.”
However, being aware of the common causes of water damage and how to protect your home can save you a great deal of money in repair costs over the long term. Here’s Leakspotters’ 5 Handy Tips to prevent water damage before it happens.
- Inspect Hoses and Seals Within the house, the most common cause of water damage is actually the hoses themselves. Flexi Hoses under basins and sinks will deteriorate and burst over time, causing water to flood a home in as little as an hour. Don’t forget to also check the hoses between your washing machine and dishwasher for signs of wear and the seals around your tubs, sinks and basins.
- Investigate mysterious leaks Pay attention to areas for any changes. This includes black spots, mould, mildew, or just unexplained moisture around your property. Water can travel and swell door frames and walls. So, if you notice anything mysterious – don’t ignore it!Another indicator that you might have something leaking unnoticed is a higher than usual water bill. If you are not using water differently, however receive a costly bill, then you might have a leak!
- Landscaping and trees around your property Are you a garden lover? While being a green thumb has little to do with water leaks, it might be worthwhile to check what types of plants are near your pipes and drains. Some trees have extensive root systems that can seep through and block or even crack your pipes, causing unseen and expensive damage.
- Clean your gutters and roof It is easy to overlook the outdoors area, especially when the gutters and roof are not easily visible high above. To prevent water damage from storms and heavy rain, regularly clear out your gutters in case of overflow and check for broken tiles in your roof that could also lead to water seeping into the home.
- Water Mains Everyone in your family should know where the water mains are, so in case of a burst pipe it can be shut off immediately. Even a few minutes can make a big difference! If you are planning on being away for holidays, it’s a good idea to turn off the mains so any leaks or bursts will be limited and won’t be catastrophic.
Water damage is always an unexpected, unpleasant surprise. The good news is, with regular maintenance and awareness you can prevent the most common causes. However, if you suspect any hidden leaks, don’t ignore or delay having it sorted! This is when the professionals, Leakspotters Leak Detection, can help you detect and pinpoint the location of the leak so it can be remedied quickly before any further damage is done.
Contact Leakspotters today to see how we can help – Phone: 1300 362 858